Henry Guitteau Hart, 81, long time resident of Fort Walton Beach, passed away Sunday, January 29, 2006, in Fort Walton Beach. He was born August 16, 1924 in Lockhart, AL, the son of Henry Duncan and Nannie Pearl Cawthon Hart.
At age 2, Hart’s family moved to DeFuniak Springs. Most will remember Guitteau through association with his father, “Henry Hart of Lockhart,” who ran a cafe at the location of Mamies. In his senior high school years, he attended Bolles Military School in Jacksonville, FL. He then attended Marion Military Institute in Marion, AL, where he received his associates degree, He received an appointment to West Point Military Academy with the Class of 1950. He was drafted into the Navy during World War II and served on board the USS Walter X. Young (APD 131). Hart served as Petty Officer 3rd Class in the United States Navy from 1944 to 1946.
Hart graduated from FSU in 1951 where he received his bachelors degree. He served as adjutant and junior vice commander of American Legion Post 13 in Tallahassee. He was a member of The American Legion 40 and 8 Society. He served as scoutmaster and assistant coach of junior baseball, sponsored by Post 13 of The American Legion. He was a life associate member of Association of Graduates-USMA-West Point. He was a member of Kappa Alpha Society.
Hart was employed with the state of Florida and later served as city inspector for the city of Fort Walton Beach from 1969 until 1973, when he retired from public service.
He is predeceased by his parents and his sister, Mary Catherine Hart Laiminger.
Among those surviving Hart are trusted friends, Virginia Lewis and Myrtle Harrington, of DeFuniak Springs, John M. Hart and wife, Jean, Gene C. Gibson and wife, Caralee; his nieces, Marion Yonge, Robin Baird and Catherine Ann Dickson.
It was Hart’s wish that memorials be made in his honor to your church. Pallbearers were Ryan Lewis, Jeremy Lewis, Rush Smith, John Eric Gibson. Honorary pallbearers were Ken Vaughan, John M. Hart, John Harrington Sr. and Gene Gibson.
Funeral services were held Wednesday, February 1, 2006, in Jerry Evans Chapel, with Reverend William Tyson ofﬁciating. Burial followed in Magnolia Cemetery.
[Source: The DeFuniak Springs Herald, February 2, 2006, Page 8-B]
[Burial: Magnolia Cemetery, DeFuniak Springs]